Friday 9 July 2010

Fruit and Scones

Compote put into jars next to scrummy scones

Compote stewing away

Strawberries all ready to make jam.


This evening I had a busy time in the kitchen. Yesterday I went strawberry picking and came back with a rather large supply, so I prepared a load of them to make jam tomorrow. I also made a large amount of Rhubarb, Strawberry and Raspberry Compote, which is proving very popular a breakfast time. I got the recipe when I went on the Perthshire Breakfast Cookery Course at Let's Cook Scotland last year.
I also tried out a new scone recipe by Lesley Walters and have to say they turned out and tasted lovely, so think this is my latest favourite scone recipe. Her recipe had ground almonds in it which I omitted.
8oz self-raising flour
2oz butter
pinch of salt
1oz caster sugar
100ml milk
1 egg
2 tbsp natural yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 225C
2. Place sieved flour and butter into bowl add the salt and rub the butter into flour until it looks like fine breadcrumbs.
3.In a bowl mix together the yogurt, milk and egg.
4.Gradually add milk mixture to flour, you may not need it all, until you have a soft dough.
5.Transfer dough to lightly floured surface and roll out to 2.5cm thick, then cut out. Place onto baking tray and lightly dust with flour.
6.Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes until risen and golden.

No comments: