Tuesday 12 July 2011

Gooseberry and Elderflower Compote


Gooseberries are perhaps not the most popular of summer fruit and I must admit I'm none too keen either, but turn them into a compote and you may just change your mind.  Today I was doing a bit of 'Pick Your Own' mainly raspberries and strawberries but I also got a few gooseberries.  It is pretty straight forward to turn them into a compote. I made some elderflower cordial the other week so this recipe was perfect.  I just made a small quantity, just to check they tasted ok!
1 lb gooseberries
2 tablespoons elderflower cordial mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1 oz golden caster sugar

Wash and remove stalks from the gooseberries and place them in an ovenproof dish, sprinkle with the sugar add the cordial mix then put in the oven at 180 C for about half and hour or until they are soft.  Then just puree them.  Okay it doesn't look the most attractive of dishes but they really do taste very nice.

No comments: